The Health Department of Florida has confirmed that one person died in February due to a brain amoeba in Charlotte County. It is also called Naegleria Fowalei. After this death, Florida Health Department has also issued a warning for the people of Charlotte County. Earlier, a South Korean citizen also died due to brain amoeba. The person returned home from a trip to Thailand a few days before his death.
The case confirmed in late February
Florida Health Department Press Secretary J Williams said that an epidemic team is investigating to understand the circumstances of the infection. I can confirm that this unfortunate death is caused by Naegleria Fowli. We have not disclosed the name of the deceased to protect their identity. He also said that the case was confirmed in late February. It may be related to tap water use and nasal habits.
What is brain eating amoeba
Brain -waste amoeba is also known as Neelgaria Foulry. It is a single-cell organism, especially found in warm and freshwater or land. A hot freshwater environment such as lakes, rivers and Geotomical Hot Springs are the favorite housing of this amoeba. This amoeba grows rapidly in such places. It can also live in unicellular organisms in moist soil. In the case of human infection, thermophilic amoeba enters the body through the nose when a person enters the water, especially during activities such as diving.
How a person dies
This amoeba travels from nose to brain and spinal cord. It destroys red blood cells (erythrocytes) and nerve cells. This causes inflammation and destruction of the brain tissue. In such a situation, it takes the form of a rare and serious illness. The disease is called primary amybic meningo encephalitis (PAM). This disease cannot spread from one person to another through human infection.
Health department advised
After confirmation of death from the brain, after reducing amoeba, the health officials recommend drinking only filtered water. They have advised to boil the tap water for at least one minute and then cooled it before using it. J Williams further states that infection with negative foulry is rare and can only occur when contaminated water with amoeba enters the body through the nose.